Delicious. Friends loved it and it was easy to make. The sausage makes a big difference. Use good chorizo or smoked sausage for the best flavor.
Mussels with Red Pepper and Chorizo
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) cured chorizo sausage, casing removed, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin, short strips
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo, and sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes. Add wine, paprika, and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and add mussels. Cover and cook 2 minutes or until mussels open. Discard any that do not open. Stir in cilantro. Spoon mussels, sauce, and vegetables into 4 shallow serving bowls. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
- Pour: Citrusy whites pair well with spicy foods. For this dish, Edward Peterman of Domaine Select Wine Estates suggests Villa Sparina Gavi di Gavio.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This