Mussels with Oven Fries
More From Real Simple
Other: 50 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 574
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Sodium: 1,374mg
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 31G
- 3 russet potatoes (peeled, if desired)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 4 Roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- Heat oven to 400° F.
Cut the potatoes into French fry-size strips. Place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil, season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper, and toss. Spread in a single layer. Roast until golden and crisp, 45 to 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the leeks and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine, tomatoes, and the remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the mussels, cover, and cook until they open, about 3 minutes. Discard any mussels that remain closed. Divide the mussels and cooking liquid among individual bowls. Serve with the fries and an extra bowl for the discarded shells.
Tip: Refrigerate the mussels as soon as you get home from the store. If you can't cook them that night, remove the packaging, transfer them to a bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and keep in the refrigerator for no more than 24 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes