This was an easy weeknight dinner, not as spicy as I expected. I used sprouted whole wheat pasta to boost the nutritional value. I served this with CLs Watermelon-Cucumber Salad.
Mussels Fra Diavolo with Linguine
Fra diavolo means "brother devil" in Italian and refers to a spicy, tomato-based sauce. Here we use store-bought marinara that's jazzed up with fresh fennel, crushed red pepper, and garlic.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 20 Minutes
- Calories: 423
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 28.4g
- Carbohydrate: 58.2g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Iron: 9.5mg
- Sodium: 654mg
- Calcium: 99mg
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (about 40)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 3/4 cup pasta water.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add fennel and onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic, pepper, and salt; sauté 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add reserved pasta water and marinara to pan; cook 1 minute. Add mussels; cover and cook 3 minutes or until shells open. Discard any unopened shells. Place 1 cup pasta in each of 4 shallow bowls. Top each serving with about 1 1/2 cups mussels mixture. Sprinkle evenly with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note