- 1 pound plump, medium-size mussels
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 shallot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet Spanish paprika (Pimentón de La Vera, dulce)*
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- calories 111
- caloriesfromfat 84 %
- protein 2.2 g
- fat 11 g
- satfat 1.6 g
- carbohydrate 2.3 g
- fiber 0.1 g
- sodium 143 mg
- cholesterol 4.6 mg
How to Make It
Heat a 4-qt. pot over high heat. Add mussels and 1/4 cup water; immediately cover to trap steam. Cook just until mussels open, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain, discarding any unopened ones. Let cool, then scrape mussels from shells into a bowl.
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add garlic, shallot, paprika, and saffron. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until garlic and shallot are soft but not golden.
Remove mixture from heat and stir in salt and vinegar. Pour over mussels. Set bowl in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and let mussels cool until cold.
Transfer mussels and pickling mixture to a pt.-size jar (or 2 smaller ones). Tamp mussels gently to just submerge, then chill at least 1 and up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before eating.
*Find the paprika at well-stocked grocery stores and online at spanishtable.com.
Make ahead: Up to 3 days, chilled.