- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and 3 inches of green, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick
- 1 small celery rib, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small poblano or red Anaheim chile--halved, seeded and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon loosely packed saffron threads, crumbled
- Pinch of ground allspice
- 1 cup canned Italian tomatoes, chopped, with their juices
- 1 medium red potato (3 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
How to Make It
Set a colander in a large heatproof bowl in the sink. In a large saucepan, combine the water with 1/2 cup of the wine and the bay leaves and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and steam, shaking the pan a few times, until the mussels open, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the mussels in the colander; reserve the cooking liquid. Remove the mussels from their shells and put them in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the leek, celery, poblano and onion and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, saffron and allspice, cover and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the juices have evaporated and the tomatoes start to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of wine. Slowly pour in the reserved mussel cooking liquid, stoppingbefore you reach the grit.
Add the potato and chickpeas to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, add the mussels and reheat them gently in the stew.
Serve With: Crusty bread
Notes: One Serving - Calories 320 kcal, Total Fat 2 gm, Saturated Fat 1 gm, Protein 25 gm, Carbohydrates 35 gm