Oven at 350
Mushroom Caps (prep these first)
1. Remove stems and reserve for stuffing
2. Using spoon, scoop gills & flesh from inside of caps to create uniform cavity, reserve for stuffing (optional, depends on your mushrooms)
3. Very lightly coat a large shallow baking dish with cooking spray
4. Salt the caps, place in the baking dish and set aside to await filling
(3/4lb mushrooms will incl the reserved stems and any trimmings from the mushroom caps)
1. In large skillet, melt butter and cook shallots til tender
2. Add minced mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until all the moisture has evaporated and they are beginning to brown lightly
3. Remove from heat, stir in thyme or parsley and 1c bechamel
4. Season to taste
Bechamel (make after the mushrooms & shallots are cooked)
1. Melt butter in small saucepan, medium heat
2. Add flour and, using whisk, stir constantly as it cooks for 2min. Adjust heat as needed, do not brown the roux.
3. Remove pan from heat and whisk in hot milk, incorporating all the roux
4. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3min or until the bechamel is think enough to coat a spoon heavily.
5. Remove pan from heat, season to taste with salt & pepper
1. Spoon the filling into the caps
2. Combine bread crumbs and cheese
3. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the filling
4. Dot with butter pieces
5. Bake in the upper 3rd of a 350 oven for 10-15min or until the caps are tender and the filling is lightly browned.
Serve 3-4 per person, hot or cold.
Go to full version of