buy good, very fresh mushrooms to be filled and buy seconds/reduced price mushrooms for the filling
Mushrooms stuffed with mushrooms
adapted from Time Life's "Provincial France" Foods of the World series, pgs 86-87 (have been using these recipes since the 1970s)
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- Mushroom Caps
- 18-24 2" mushroom caps, clean and dry
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon(s) flour
- 1 cup(s) fat-free milk, hot
- Mushroom Stuffing
- 3/4 pound(s) mushrooms, cleaned & minced
- 4 tablespoon(s) shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1 cup(s) bechamel
- 1 teaspoon(s) parsley or thyme, finely chopped
- Crumb Topping
- 2 tablespoon(s) fine dry unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon(s) grated Swiss
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, cut in tiny pieces
- Oven at 350
- Mushroom Caps (prep these first)
- 1. Remove stems and reserve for stuffing
- 2. Using spoon, scoop gills & flesh from inside of caps to create uniform cavity, reserve for stuffing (optional, depends on your mushrooms)
- 3. Very lightly coat a large shallow baking dish with cooking spray
- 4. Salt the caps, place in the baking dish and set aside to await filling
- Mushroom Stuffing
- (3/4lb mushrooms will incl the reserved stems and any trimmings from the mushroom caps)
- 1. In large skillet, melt butter and cook shallots til tender
- 2. Add minced mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until all the moisture has evaporated and they are beginning to brown lightly
- 3. Remove from heat, stir in thyme or parsley and 1c bechamel
- 4. Season to taste
- Bechamel (make after the mushrooms & shallots are cooked)
- 1. Melt butter in small saucepan, medium heat
- 2. Add flour and, using whisk, stir constantly as it cooks for 2min. Adjust heat as needed, do not brown the roux.
- 3. Remove pan from heat and whisk in hot milk, incorporating all the roux
- 4. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3min or until the bechamel is think enough to coat a spoon heavily.
- 5. Remove pan from heat, season to taste with salt & pepper
- 1. Spoon the filling into the caps
- 2. Combine bread crumbs and cheese
- 3. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the filling
- 4. Dot with butter pieces
- 5. Bake in the upper 3rd of a 350 oven for 10-15min or until the caps are tender and the filling is lightly browned.
- Serve 3-4 per person, hot or cold.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by carolfitz and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note