Oven at 350
Mushroom Caps (prep these first)
1. Remove stems and reserve for another use
2. Using spoon, scoop gills & flesh from inside of caps to create uniform cavity, reserve for another use (optional, depends on your mushrooms)
3. Very lightly coat a large shallow baking dish with cooking spray (large enough to hold mushrooms in one layer)
4. Salt the caps, place in the baking dish and set aside to await filling
1. In large skillet, melt butter and cook shallots til tender
2. Add crab and stir only to combine
3. Remove from heat and stir in 1c bechamel
4. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt, white pepper
Bechamel (make while the shallots cook)
1. Melt butter in small saucepan, medium heat
2. Add flour and, using whisk, stir constantly as it cooks for 2min. Adjust heat as needed, do not brown the roux.
3. Remove pan from heat and whisk in hot milk, incorporating all the roux
4. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3min or until the bechamel is think enough to coat a spoon heavily.
5. Remove pan from heat, season to taste with salt & white pepper
1. Spoon the filling into the prepared caps
2. Bake in the upper 3rd of a 350 oven for 10-15min (mushroom caps are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife and the filling is bubbly).
Serve hot from the oven, 3-4 per person
Go to full version of