For various reasons, folks seem to enjoy these a lot! Taste is good, but presentation is great. They take some effort to make so we don't make them often.
This recipe makes a great appetizer for a potluck supper any time of year. The turnovers can be made ahead of time, frozen, and baked just before serving.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 71
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 9.3g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 190mg
- Calcium: 8mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 pound mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Additional ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- To prepare pastry, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cream cheese, butter, and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, add ice water through food chute, processing until dough forms a ball. Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap. Cover and chill 15 minutes.
- To prepare filling, place mushrooms in food processor, and process until finely chopped. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook 1 minute or until soft. Stir in mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook 10 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in basil. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine 2 teaspoons water and egg white in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Divide dough into 24 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball; chill. Working with 1 portion at a time, roll each dough ball into a 4-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Lightly brush pastry with egg white mixture. Spoon about 2 teaspoons mushroom filling onto half of each circle. Fold dough over filling; press edges together with a fork to seal. Brush egg white mixture over pastry. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat procedure with remaining dough, filling, and egg white mixture, placing pastries 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Mushroom Turnovers Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor
- OCCASION: Father's Day, Mother's Day, New Year's, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light