I might have given this 4 stars had I followed the ideas given in the reviews. My steak slices could have been thinner as well as the onions and green peppers. Onions would have caramelized better and green peppers would have been crisper. Used mozzarella which I think was a better choice because we could really taste the meat and juices and the dish reheated beautifully. Reduced fat cheddar didn't sound appealing. Like the idea by carolfitz to hollow out the ciabatta. Good idea to add more wine and Worcestershire for juices. I used reconstituted Porcini, I think, mushrooms. It was easy and my husband really liked it so I'll try it again with the modifications.
Mushroom and Sweet Onion Cheesesteaks
Don't leave cheesesteaks on the back burner. Bring them to the dinner table in this delicious, lightened recipe. Serve with a cucumber salad.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 419
- Fat: 15.7g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 35.3g
- Carbohydrate: 35.6g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 660mg
- Calcium: 343mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces top round steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups thinly vertically sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper strips
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 (2-ounce) ciabatta rolls
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add steak to pan; cook 2 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Remove steak from pan. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes. Stir in wine; cook until liquid evaporates (about 1 minute). Add bell peppers; sauté 4 minutes. Return steak to pan. Stir in Worcestershire, salt, and black pepper; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat. Sprinkle mixture with cheese; stir until cheese melts. Divide mixture evenly among rolls.
- Cucumber salad: Combine 1 thinly sliced English cucumber, 1/4 cup sliced red onion, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note