I made this(except I didn't have the spinach) for myself and my two preschoolers. I will definitely be making this in the future. This is a good everyday lunch or dinner meal. I made it with lemon asparagus, cottage cheese, and bread for a lite lunch. The kids liked shaking extra parmesan on their chicken. The bread helped soak up the left over sauce.
Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Tomato Sauce
Chicken breast halves that are thick and uniform in size are well suited for stuffing.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 1/4 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 263
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 37.4g
- Carbohydrate: 15.4g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 968mg
- Calcium: 184mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, drained
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in spinach; remove from heat. Stir in cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff 1/4 cup mushroom mixture into each pocket. Close opening with a wooden pick.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan. Cook sauce until reduced to 1 cup (about 5 minutes).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes