I love this recipe and have been using it for years. I use smoked Gouda and any kind of wine that I have. Since getting everything stuffed inside the chicken has always been a problem I just add the mushroom mixture to the sauce and only stuff the cheese inside.
Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Madeira Sauce
Sliced cheese is easier to stuff into the chicken breasts than shredded cheese; you can buy small amounts at the deli. Crimini mushrooms are dark brown and have a fuller flavor than button mushrooms. Serve Madeira sauce over the chicken and garnish with more mushrooms and thyme.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 207
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 31g
- Carbohydrate: 4.1g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 207mg
- Calcium: 117mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 2 cups diced crimini or button mushrooms
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
- 4 (1/2-ounce) slices Gouda or fontina cheese
- 3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Madeira or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 small crimini or button mushrooms, halved (optional)
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add diced mushrooms and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in pepper, and set aside.
- Cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each breast half to form a pocket. Stuff 2 tablespoons mushroom mixture and 1 slice cheese into each pocket.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from skillet. Set aside; keep warm.
- Add broth and Madeira to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until reduced to 3/4 cup. Combine cornstarch and water; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve sauce with chicken; garnish with mushrooms and thyme, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes