- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 2 cups diced crimini or button mushrooms
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
- 4 (1/2-ounce) slices Gouda or fontina cheese
- 3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Madeira or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 small crimini or button mushrooms, halved (optional)
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- calories 207
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 6.9 g
- satfat 3.1 g
- monofat 2.3 g
- polyfat 0.6 g
- protein 31 g
- carbohydrate 4.1 g
- fiber 0.5 g
- cholesterol 82 mg
- iron 1.6 mg
- sodium 207 mg
- calcium 117 mg
How to Make It
Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add diced mushrooms and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in pepper, and set aside.
Cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each breast half to form a pocket. Stuff 2 tablespoons mushroom mixture and 1 slice cheese into each pocket.
Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from skillet. Set aside; keep warm.
Add broth and Madeira to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until reduced to 3/4 cup. Combine cornstarch and water; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve sauce with chicken; garnish with mushrooms and thyme, if desired.