Mushroom-Stuffed Black Peppercorn Filet of Beef
To more easily serve this at a buffet, cut the uncooked, stuffed tenderloin in half crosswise. Then you can cook half for the beginning of the party and the other half midway through.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 3 ounces beef)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 188
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 23.2g
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 373mg
- Calcium: 26mg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (1 small)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 6 ounces)
- 2 cups chopped oyster mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 (1 1/2-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 (3-pound) beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 450º.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, onion, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, oregano, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates and mushrooms darken. Add sherry to pan; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup. Stir breadcrumbs into mushroom mixture. Cool.
- Slice beef lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Open the halves, laying beef flat. Slice each half lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Place heavy-duty plastic wrap over beef; pound to an even thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Spread mushroom mixture down center of beef, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Roll up beef, jelly-roll fashion, starting with long side. Secure at 2-inch intervals with heavy string. Rub beef with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Place beef on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 40 minutes or until a thermometer registers 135° or until desired degree of doneness. Remove beef from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Slice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes