Nervous about the other ratings...added a touch more of all the spices plus fresh thyme. Whole family loved it!
Mushroom Stew with Spaetzle
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
Spaetzle—small German noodles or dumplings—are paired with a thick mushroom gravy.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups stew and 1 tablespoon parsley)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 12.8g
- Carbohydrate: 45.7g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 571mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 quarts water
- 1/3 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 3/8 ounce)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups (1/2-inch) sliced cremini mushrooms (about 14 ounces)
- 10 ounce button mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Weigh or lightly spoon 4.5 ounces flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Sift together flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Combine milk and eggs in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring until well combined. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 2. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large saucepan. Hold a colander with large holes (about 1/4 inch in diameter) over boiling water; spoon about 1/2 cup dough into colander. Press dough through holes with a rubber spatula (droplets will form spaetzle); set colander aside. Cook 3 minutes or until done (spaetzle will rise to the surface). Remove with a slotted spoon; drain in a strainer (spaetzle will stick to a paper towel). Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
- 3. Combine porcini mushrooms and 1/2 cup boiling water in a small bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain mushroom mixture in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Rinse and chop mushrooms.
- 4. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add reserved porcini mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, and button mushrooms to pan; sauté 15 minutes or until moisture almost evaporates. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and paprika. Add wine to pan; cook 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in reserved mushroom liquid and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 cup parsley, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to pan; cook for 1 minute. Add spaetzle to pan; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with remaining 1/4 cup parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note