Great lasagna recipe and you won't even miss the meat! The portabella mushrooms have such a meaty texture, even my carnivorous husband who gets panicky if meat is not on the menu 7 days a week loved this one. I did make a few changes: 1) used 1 jar tomato basil pasta sauce, added 2 cans of low-sodium diced Italian style tomatoes, and 2 tbsp. cornstarch to a skillet to thicken the sauce; 2) used regular (par-boiled) lasagna noodles in lieu of "no boil" and 3) added basil to the sauce while adding fresh parsley to the ricotta mixture. I would recommend NOT trying to do the 4 layers and instead just use 12 lasagna noodles and do 3 layers of noodles; there wasn't really enough of the sauce mixture, veggies or ricotta mix to do the layers as indicated in the recipe; each was very sparse. I'd rather do 3 great layers than 4 inadequate layers. Other than that, I made as directed and I'm happy to have meatless dish in my repertoire (finally!) Enjoy!
Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna
Photo: Oxmoor House
More From Oxmoor House
1 Hour, 40 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 462
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 26.5g
- Carbohydrate: 54.2g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Iron: 6.2mg
- Sodium: 568mg
- Calcium: 524mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (9-ounce) red onion, sliced
- 1 pound portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (6-ounce) packages fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 (24.5-ounce) jars lower-sodium pasta sauce
- Cooking spray
- 16 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl.
- 3. Return pan to heat; add half of spinach and 1/4 cup water. Cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, turning with tongs. Add cooked spinach to mushroom mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining half of spinach and remaining 1/4 cup water. Stir vegetable mixture until blended.
- 4. Combine eggs and next 3 ingredients (through pepper) in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in milk and ricotta cheese.
- 5. Pour 1 cup pasta sauce into bottom of a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles over sauce. Top with one-third of ricotta mixture, one-third of vegetable mixture, and 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice with sauce, noodles, ricotta mixture, vegetable mixture, and mozzarella cheese. Spread 1 cup sauce over mozzarella. Arrange 4 noodles over sauce. Top with 1 cup sauce, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
- 6. Cover with a sheet of foil coated with cooking spray, coated side down. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand 15 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This