This was so easy and so delicious! Made it as a healthy alternative to your traditional breakfast casserole on Easter. Even my father, who usually shies away from veggie-infused breakfast items, had two helpings. Only criticism is that none of us could really detect the Gouda, so a less-expensive substitute might be warranted. It is the one reason that I was close to giving this four stars. I did follow the recipe exactly because we have a calorie-counter in the house, so others may find that adding more Gouda would do the trick if they really want that smokey flavor.
Mushroom and Spinach Frittata With Smoked Gouda
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 158
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 339mg
- Calcium: 155mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups packed baby spinach leaves or torn Swiss chard
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, 4 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. Add spinach; cover and cook 1 minute or just until spinach is wilted.
- 3. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, 1/4 cup cheese, salt, and pepper; mix well. Add spinach mixture; mix well. Pour mixture into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over frittata. Bake 30 minutes or until eggs are set in center and cheese has melted. Cut into 4 wedges.
- Wine note: A velvety, berry-rich California red from the Petite Sirah grape will match the earthiness of the frittata's mushrooms and cut through the rich Gouda flavor. Look for Bogle, a big wine at a relatively small price, about $10.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch