Loved it. Added chive oil which was an extra punch for this soup.
Mushroom Soup with Hazelnuts
Reader Sheila Piccini, of Port Townsend, Washington, uses a mix of wild mushrooms when they're in season and less expensive. We also tried the recipe with a mix of cremini and common mushrooms, and it was equally delicious.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 373
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Sodium: 1604mg
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms such as chanterelle or cremini, chopped if large
- 4 ounces pancetta, cut into chunks
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped and rinsed well
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 qt. mushroom broth
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche or Greek yogurt
- 1 handful chives, cut into 2-in. lengths
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1. Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add mushrooms, pancetta, celery, leek, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables have softened, about 6 minutes. Add wine if using and cook 1 minute. Add rosemary, salt, pepper, broth, and 1 cup water, then cover and cook until simmering, about 6 minutes.
- 2. Whirl soup in a blender until smooth. Divide among 4 bowls and top each with a dollop of crème fraîche and a sprinkle of chives and hazelnuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note