Makes a lot. This is a hit every time. I like it because it works for vegetarians, even those that are vegan** but it has such a robust flavor (use optional dry mushrooms) that omnivores like it too. Also, make ahead. Yay! ** use a vegan substitute like Earth Balance
Notes: A few dried mushrooms intensify the flavor of the fresh mushrooms in this pâté. If the shelled nuts aren't roasted, bake in a 350° oven until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. You can prepare through step 4 up to 2 days ahead; cool, cover, and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 130
- Calories from fat: 76%
- Protein: 3.3g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 5.7g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 86mg
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- 1 to 2 ounces dried shiitake, morel, and/or porcini mushrooms (optional; see notes)
- 1 pound fresh shiitake, oyster, cremini, or common mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup unsalted or salted roasted pistachios or almonds (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Sliced baguettes (toasted if desired) or crackers
- 1. If using dried mushrooms, place in a bowl and cover with 2 cups hot water. Let stand until soft, 15 to 30 minutes. Squeeze mushrooms under water to release any grit, then lift out and rinse thoroughly under running water, gently rubbing to release any remaining grit; discard soaking water. If using shiitakes, trim off and discard tough stems; coarsely chop mushrooms.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse fresh mushrooms. If using shiitakes, trim off and discard tough stems. Coarsely chop mushrooms.
- 3. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, melt butter. Add fresh and soaked dried mushrooms, shallots, garlic, curry powder, and cumin; stir often until all liquid is evaporated and mixture is lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 4. In a food processor, whirl nuts until finely ground. Add oil and whirl until mixture forms a paste. Add mushroom mixture and whirl until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mound in a bowl.
- 5. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve pâté with baguette slices or crackers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers