one of my staples! even excellent without the bread.
Mushroom and Provolone Patty Melts
Your family won’t believe this comforting sandwich is light. For the kids, use beef broth instead of beer, and try mild wheat bread.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 27 Minutes
- Calories: 407
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 36.2g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 770mg
- Calcium: 213mg
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark lager beer
- 8 (1.1-ounce) slices rye bread
- 4 (0.67-ounce) slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1. Chop enough of the sliced onion to measure 1/4 cup. Combine chopped onion, beef, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Divide beef mixture into 4 equal portions with moist hands, shaping each into a 4-inch oval patty. Press thumb in center of each patty, leaving a nickel-sized indentation.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add patties; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- 3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, remaining onion, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in beer; cook 30 seconds or until thick. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- 4. When patties are done, remove from large pan. Wipe pan clean; heat over medium-high heat. Coat 1 side of each bread slice with cooking spray. Place 4 bread slices, coated sides down, in pan. Top each with 1 patty, 1 cheese slice, and one-fourth of mushroom mixture. Top with remaining bread slices; coat with cooking spray. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
This updated version of Mushroom and Provolone Patty Melts is based on a recipe that originally ran in Cooking Light, October 2010. The recipe was retested and updated for Cooking Light Crave!, Oxmoor House, 2013.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This