- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped leek
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 (8-oz.) packages sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Vegetable oil
How to Make It
Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan. Sauté leek and onion in 2 Tbsp. melted butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat 10 minutes. Add garlic and rice; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in wine; cook 3 minutes. Add 1 cup hot broth; cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding all of broth, 1 cup at a time. Stir in 2 Tbsp. butter, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Spread on a baking sheet; cool 10 minutes.
Sauté mushrooms in 2 Tbsp. melted butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 7 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat; stir in rice mixture.
Cut cheese into 1/2-inch cubes. Shape mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls, pressing 1 cheese cube into each rice ball; reshape. Cover and chill 30 minutes to 24 hours.
Stir together flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Place eggs in a second bowl; place breadcrumbs in a third bowl. Dredge rice balls in flour mixture; dip in eggs. Roll in crumbs. Chill 10 minutes.
Pour oil to a depth of 5 inches into a large Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 350°. Fry fritters, in batches, 3 minutes or until golden; drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a 250° oven.