Mushroom Lover's Chicken
Prep and Cook Time: about 30 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boned skinned chicken breast halves (8 oz. each)
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 sprigs thyme, plus chopped thyme for garnish
- 8 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, rinsed and halved, or halved button mushrooms
- 4 ounces mixed fresh wild mushrooms, rinsed and halved if large
- About 1/2 tsp. salt
- About 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly and finely shredded gruyere
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy ovenproof frying pan (not nonstick) over high heat until oil is hot but not smoking. Add chicken breasts, top side down, and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn chicken over.
- 2. Add shallots and garlic to pan with chicken, stirring occasionally so garlic doesn't burn, until shallots are soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add beef broth, thyme sprigs, mushrooms, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper and cook until mixture begins to boil, about 1 minute.
- 3. Cover pan and put in oven. Bake 14 to 16 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through (cut to check). Transfer chicken to a plate.
- 4. Season mushroom-broth mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Divide vegetables among 4 rimmed plates or shallow pasta bowls, top each with a piece of chicken, and spoon sauce over all. Garnish with chopped thyme and gruyere.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes