My husband and I hosted our first Thanksgiving in 2012, a few days after I received my issue with this recipe. I decided to make it my most daring dish, and went for it. I was worried and had a boxed stuffing just in case, but I didn't need it. It was a hit among everyone, even my mother-in-law who hates mushrooms! Everyone kept asking me for the recipe! Even my son, then nine-month old son couldn't get enough. My only regret was that my grandmother died three days later and never got to try the leftovers. It will be my new go to stuffing recipe for all time. I loved it. MUST TRY!
Mushroom and Leek Stuffing
This delicious yet budget-friendly dish comes to $1.15 per serving. Look for a poultry herb blend in the produce section--one package contains all the herbs you need. Slice leeks and swirl them around in a big bowl of water to wash.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 8 Minutes
- Calories: 179
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 6.8g
- Carbohydrate: 24.1g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 302mg
- Calcium: 65mg
- 9 cups 1/2-inch Italian bread cubes (about 12 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped leek (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup no-salt-added chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet or jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add leek and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); sauté 10 minutes or until leek begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in mushrooms; sauté 8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Place the mushroom mixture in a large bowl. Add toasted bread cubes, chicken stock, and remaining ingredients except cooking spray. Toss mixture gently to combine. Spoon the mixture into an 11 x 7inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until top of stuffing is browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note