Mushroom Essence Giblet Gravy
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 90
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 1.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 5.5g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 74mg
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- 1 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 5 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- Neck and giblets from a 14- to 23-pound turkey
- Fat-skimmed drippings from a roasted 14- to 23-pound turkey (optional)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Combine the mushrooms, onion, sherry, and 1 cup broth in a 4- to 5-quart nonstick pan over high heat. Bring to a boil and stir often until liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are very well browned, 20 to 25 minutes; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water, if needed, to prevent scorching.
- 2. Rinse turkey neck, heart, gizzard, and liver; wrap liver and chill. Add neck, heart, gizzard, and 4 cups broth to pan. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat, and simmer until gizzard is tender when pierced, about 1 1/2 hours. Add liver (or save for other uses) and cook until faintly pink in the center (cut to test), 5 to 8 minutes. Pour mixture through a strainer into a bowl. Discard vegetables. Pull meat from neck; discard bones. Finely chop meat and giblets. If making ahead, cover bowl and meat mixture, and chill up to 1 day.
- 3. Measure broth mixture and, if needed, add water to make 4 cups. Return broth mixture to the 4- to 5-quart pan and add meat mixture and turkey drippings; bring to a boil over high heat. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with 1/4 cup water. Stir in enough cornstarch mixture to thicken boiling gravy as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Nutritional analysis per 1/4 cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments