Mushroom, Chicory, and Celery-Root Salad
Photo: Yunhee Kim; Styling: Karen Shinto
Make the dressing directly in a storage jar the day before.
Yield: Serves 8 to 10
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 156
- Calories from fat: 64%
- Protein: 3.5g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Sodium: 159mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed wild and cultivated mushrooms such as maitake, oyster, and king trumpet
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 8 ounces celery root
- 12 cups loosely packed chicories, such as escarole and radicchio, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Wipe dirt off mushrooms, trim tough stems, and cut large mushrooms to make all pieces about the same size. Toss in a bowl with 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and the pepper. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally, until browned, 30 to 45 minutes. Let cool.
- 2. Make dressing: Sprinkle peeled garlic clove with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, mince, and then flatten with side of chef's knife into a paste. Scrape paste into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and add mustard, honey, thyme, vinegar, and remaining 1/4 cup oil. Cap jar and shake until emulsified.
- 3. Peel celery root, then cut into matchsticks, dropping them into a bowl of water to prevent darkening. Pat dry, then put in a large salad bowl and add chicories and mushrooms. Toss gently with dressing.
- Make ahead: Dressing, up to 1 day ahead, chilled. Prep vegetables 1 day ahead (chill celery root matchsticks in water), then dress just before serving.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This