Good taste, but lots of work (and prep dishes) for only OK results. Love the idea... Look forward to the next version.
Mushroom-Brown Rice Risotto
Short-grain brown rice gets a whole pound of fresh mushrooms and a shower of chopped green beans in this vegetarian risotto. If the rice isn't tender enough after you've stirred in all the porcini liquid, add water and continue cooking and stirring until it's done.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 6 Minutes
- Calories: 434
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 19.1g
- Carbohydrate: 60.6g
- Fiber: 9.1g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 6.6mg
- Sodium: 534mg
- Calcium: 180mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups (1-inch) cut green beans
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil, and add 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in rice; reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes (rice will not be done). Drain. Set aside.
- 2. Place porcini in a medium bowl; add 3 cups hot water. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain through a sieve over a bowl; reserve liquid. Chop porcini.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced fresh mushrooms; sauté for 8 minutes or until moisture evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in reserved porcini, green beans, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; cook for 2 minutes or until the green beans are crisp-tender. Place mushroom mixture in a large bowl; keep warm.
- 4. Return pan to medium-high heat; add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add shallots, and sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add rice; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir in wine; cook 2 minutes or until the wine evaporates, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup reserved mushroom liquid to rice mixture; cook 3 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining mushroom liquid, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Stir in mushroom mixture, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and parsley; sprinkle with thyme. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note