Notes; If making up to 1 day ahead, cool, cover, and chill. Serve at room temperature or reheat: bake, uncovered, in a 325° oven until warm, about 10 minutes.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 187
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrate: 5.9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 298mg
- Cholesterol: 140mg
- About 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 pound asadero or jack cheese, shredded
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms, onion, and nutmeg. Stir often until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat eggs to blend with crumbs, cilantro, and all but 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- 3. Coarsely chop the mushroom mixture and stir into the egg mixture. Pour into a buttered 8-inch square pan.
- 4. Bake in a 325° oven until center feels firm when lightly pressed, about 30 minutes (about 20 minutes in a convection oven). Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese and bake just until it begins to melt, 3 to 4 minutes more (1 to 2 minutes in a convection oven). Remove from oven and let stand in pan until warm, at least 15 minutes, or until cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces and arrange on a platter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note