I made this for my family last night for dinner and served it in smaller portions as a side for london broil. The texture and taste were PERFECT. I might add more mushrooms next time, because I'm a big mushroom lover, but otherwise everything was perfectly balanced and delicious. I will definitely be making this again...probably a lot.
Mushroom and Barley Risotto
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Barley doesn't contain as much starch as rice, so this "risotto," although delicious, is not quite as creamy as traditional recipes.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)
Cost per Serving: $2.27
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 487
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 14.2g
- Carbohydrate: 88.4g
- Fiber: 18.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 654mg
- Calcium: 61mg
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 ounces fresh pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Combine 2 cups boiling water and porcini mushrooms; let stand 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms through a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid. Finely chop mushrooms.
- 2. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add onion; cook for 4 minutes. Add cremini mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add porcini mushrooms and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add barley; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add brandy; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 1 minute), stirring occasionally.
- 3. Stir in reserved mushroom liquid, 1 3/4 cups water, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until liquid evaporates and barley is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Grate 1/4 cup (1 ounce) cheese; stir grated cheese and salt into barley mixture. Sprinkle with parsley. Shave remaining 1 ounce cheese over top.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes