Good recipe, but I did make some changes: 1) used harvest wheat bread in lieu of ciabatta; 2) did not "soak" overnight as I think that makes the whole casserole taste "mushy" (texture preference)& 3) used baby swiss (again, taste preference). Otherwise made as directed and I would make again in the future. Next time I would put in some color (i.e. - colored bell pepper) and maybe other veggies (like asparagus) to give it even more flavor and "health." Overall, it doesn't taste very "light" but it's a solid recipe and I'd make again; enjoy!
Mushroom, Bacon, and Swiss Strata
Photo: Oxmoor House
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 313
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 21.7g
- Carbohydrate: 35.5g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 737mg
- Calcium: 318mg
- 12 ounces ciabatta, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 7 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced mushrooms
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 8 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange bread in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until toasted. Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until liquid evaporates and vegetables are tender. Add onion mixture to bread; toss well to combine. Arrange half of bread mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of cheese and half of bacon; top with remaining bread mixture, cheese, and bacon.
- Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through salt), stirring with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove strata from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Bake strata, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Also featured in: Cooking Light Lighten Up, America!, Oxmoor House, 2013
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch