Wonderful easy recipe. I followed it except I added a little more bacon & mushrooms to the stuffing. I too, sprayed some butter on the outside of the fish before baking. The stuffing didn't overpower the delicate flavor of the fish. Definitely a keeper!
Mushroom and Bacon-Stuffed Trout
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke, Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 294
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 46.5g
- Carbohydrate: 8.2g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 436mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 2 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions (about 2 bunches)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped cremini mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 8 (8-ounce) dressed whole rainbow trout
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges and fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until crumbly. Sprinkle crumbs on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add green onions and onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until mushrooms soften and most of liquid evaporates. Add chopped thyme; cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Combine mushroom mixture, breadcrumbs, and bacon in a bowl.
- Open trout flat as you would a book. Drizzle trout evenly with juice; sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Spoon about 1/4 cup mushroom mixture onto bottom half of each fish; fold over to cover with top half of fish. Arrange fish on a foil-lined broiler pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork or until desired degree or doneness. Garnish with lemon wedges and thyme sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes