Would have given this one star but it got much better on day 2. It wasn't bland but the added fat from the bacon and mushrooms sauteed in bacon fat didn't give a "wow" that was worth the added fat. I'll also use a biscuit crust next time instead of the pie crust.
Mushroom-Bacon Chicken Pie
More From Southern Living
Bake: 45 Minutes
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1/2 (15-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 5 bacon slices
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup with herbs
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken*
- 3 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Unroll piecrust on a lightly floured surface; roll into a 14- x 12-inch rectangle.
- 2. Cook bacon slices in a large skillet over medium heat 5 minutes on each side or until crisp. Remove bacon slices, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- 3. Sauté mushrooms in hot drippings 10 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic cloves, and sauté 1 minute.
- 4. Stir together soup and next 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir mushroom mixture and crumbled bacon into chicken mixture. Pour into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Top with piecrust; fold edges under, and crimp. Cut slits in top for steam to escape.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- *2 (12.5-oz.) cans chicken, drained, may be substituted.
- Note: To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed through Step 4. Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and freeze up to 1 month. Preheat oven to 400°. Remove pie from freezer, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Loosen foil, and place pie on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake, covered, for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note