- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) sourdough bread slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Table salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 (1-oz.) goat cheese slices
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake sourdough bread slices on a wire rack on a baking sheet 12 to 14 minutes or until toasted. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add minced shallot, and cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until blended. Add sherry, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add vegetable broth, and simmer 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Add table salt and black pepper to taste. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Toss arugula with olive oil. Spoon one-fourth of mushroom mixture onto each piece of toast. Top each with 1/2 cup arugula mixture and 1 goat cheese slice. Add desired amount of salt and pepper; serve immediately.
- A Note from Nealey: "For an extra layer of flavor, rub toasted bread with a garlic clove and brush with olive oil, or stir a dollop of sour cream into the mushroom mixture after cooking."
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note