Yield: one 9-inch pie
- Pastry for 1 double-crust (9-inch) pie
- 3 1/2 pounds ripe muscadines
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Roll half of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Set aside.
- Wash and mash muscadines. Separate hulls from pulp; set hulls aside. Strain pulp, reserving juice; discard pulp and seeds. Combine juice and hulls in a heavy saucepan; cover and cook over low heat 20 minutes or until hulls are tender. Cool.
- Combine hull mixture, lemon juice, flour, and sugar; mix well. Pour into prepared pastry shell; dot with butter.
- inch thickness; cut into 3/4-inchwide strips, and arrange in a lattice fashion over filling. Trim edges; seal and flute. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°, and bake 25 to 30 additional minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Pies/Pastries