Multigrain Mac and Cheese
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 758
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 37g
- Carbohydrate: 73g
- Sugars: 6g
- Fiber: 7g
- Fat: 39g
- Saturated fat: 18g
- Sodium: 1007mg
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- 12 ounces multigrain or whole-wheat elbow macaroni (3 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 1/2 cups grated Cheddar (12 ounces)
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the parsley (if using). Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
Wipe out the saucepan and melt the remaining tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has slightly thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the Cheddar and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and whisk until the cheese melts. Stir in the macaroni.
Divide among bowls and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes