Yum! I really enjoyed this. Great for a slow morning, or for making ahead and reheating on a hectic morning. Since I didn't have real maple syrup, I substituted 1/4 cup honey and 1 teaspoon maple extract. Also great with dried cranberries.
Multigrain Breakfast Porridge
Serve this hearty morning warmer on a lazy Saturday--or even a weekday, if you make it ahead. This dish features rolled oats and wheat berries, products of the Montana-Dakotas region.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup porridge and 4 teaspoons walnuts)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.4mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 312mg
- Calcium: 55mg
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked wheat berries (hard winter wheat), rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup regular oats
- 3 tablespoons uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in oats; simmer, uncovered, 12 minutes, stirring often. Stir in grits; simmer 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in milk and syrup; simmer 1 minute or until porridge thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Serve with walnuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch