can you use irish cream to replace the cream
Yummy ingredients from the popular drink--chocolate, espresso, and whipping cream--make a splash in these decadent bars filled with chopped pecans and garnished wtih chocolate-covered espresso beans.
More From Oxmoor House
- 6 (1-oz.) unsweetened chocolate baking squares
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons espresso powder, divided (we tested with Café Bustello)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp. coffee liqueur, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Garnish: chocolate-covered espresso coffee beans, chopped
- Melt 4 chocolate baking squares and 1/2 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and transfer to a large bowl. Add sugars; stir well. Stir in eggs, 2 teaspoon espresso powder, and 2 teaspoon coffee liqueur. Add flour and salt, stirring until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Spread batter into a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined 13" x 9" pan (or see note). Bake at 325° for 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies appear set on top. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Melt remaining 2 chocolate baking squares and 2 Tbsp. butter in heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in remaining 2 tsp. espresso powder, whipping cream, vodka, and remaining 2 Tbsp. coffee liqueur. Add enough powdered sugar to make a good spreading consistency, beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread frosting over cooled brownies; garnish, if desired. Let stand until frosting is set. Use foil to lift uncut brownies out of the pan. Cut into bars to serve.
- Note: For really thick, showy brownies, we baked these in an 11" x 7" pan at 325° for 26 to 28 minutes.
If you prefer not to add any alcohol to this dessert, you can use sweetened coffee Instead of the coffee liqueur and omit the vokda.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note