I use a Iron skillet when making the syrup part. It helps with keep the temp. even and you can cook without carmelising. Also use clear vanilla extract, keeps the pretty white color...Great recipe A stand mixer is a must unless you have help pouring the two mixtures together.
Mrs. Floyd's Divinity
Divinity is a classic candy make with granulated sugar, corn syrup, and stiffly beaten egg white. With the addition of chopped pecans, this divinity is crunchy, fluffy, and simply divine.
Yield: 4 dozen (1 3/4 pounds)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Garnish: toasted pecan halves
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves and a candy thermometer registers 248° (about 15 minutes). Remove syrup mixture from heat.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Pour half of hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly at high speed, about 5 minutes.
- Cook remaining half of syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer registers 272° (about 4 to 5 minutes). Slowly pour hot syrup and vanilla extract over egg white mixture, beating constantly at high speed until mixture holds its shape (about 6 to 8 minutes). Stir in 1 cup chopped pecans.
- Drop mixture quickly by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased wax paper. Garnish, if desired. Cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note