- 20 jumbo Gulf shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 8 strips Applewood smoked bacon, cut crosswise into thirds
- 4 large wooden skewers, soaked in water 10 minutes
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups dark chicken stock
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- 3 cups Mr. B's stone-ground grits, prepared
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
How to Make It
Wrap 1 piece of bacon around the center of each shrimp, reserving leftover bacon, and line up on a work surface.
Put 5 wrapped shrimp on each skewer, leaving a little space between each shrimp. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until almost smoking. Add 2 skewers and cook 2 minutes each side, or until bacon gets crisp. Repeat with remaining oil and shrimp. Transfer shrimp to plate.
Add vinegar and brown sugar to skillet and cook 1 minute, or until reduced by half. Add chicken stock and cook over high heat until reduced by half. Add jelly and cook 1 minute, or until jelly is dissolved. Remove skillet from heat and add butter, stirring until just melted. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
In a small skillet, cook leftover bacon until crisp. Cool and crumble.
To serve, mound grits on plates. Remove shrimp from skewers and arrange around grits. Drizzle sauce over grits and garnish with reserved bacon and chives.