Mozzarella-Ham Swirl Bread
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 141
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21.1g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 281mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped reduced-fat ham
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pimento-stuffed olives
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon sugar and the yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Add 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 1/2 cups flour, milk, butter, and salt to yeast mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into the dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)
- Combine the ham, cheese, olives, and pepper. Set aside.
- Uncover dough. Punch dough down; let rest 5 minutes. Roll into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Brush mustard over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch margin around edges. Spread ham mixture evenly over dough. Beginning with a long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion; pinch seam to seal (do not seal ends of roll). Place, seam side down, in an 8-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Uncover dough. Combine egg white and 1 tablespoon water; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Loosely cover with foil. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This