Mouth-Watering Watermelon Bars
These creamy bars, made with watermelon, lemon juice and milk, are served chilled: a refreshing summertime treat! To make watermelon juice, simply place the watermelon cubes in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Strain the mixture with a strainer into a bowl. Unflavored gelatin is commonly packaged in small envelopes. Look for it in pudding and gelatin section. The squares will keep in the freezer in zip-top freezer bags for 2 weeks or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
Freeze : 2 Hours
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 12 ounce(s) round vanilla wafers
- 3/8 of 1 cup(s) unsalted butter
- 5 cup(s) watermelon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) lemon zest
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) 2% milk
- 1 ounce(s) unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup(s) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup(s) whipped cream, for garnish
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the long sides of the pan. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Step 2: Mix the melted butter into the finely ground vanilla wafers and add 2 Tablespoons of water. Mix well and press the crumbs onto the bottom of the prepared pan, forming a crust. Bake the crust for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
- Step 3: Set aside 2 cups of the watermelon juice in a small, microwave-safe bowl. In a large bowl, combine the remaining 3 cups of watermelon juice with the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and milk.
- Step 4: Sprinkle the gelatin over the reserved 2 cups of watermelon juice. Allow to sit for 2 minutes so that gelatin can dissolve and begin to absorb liquid, or "bloom." After the gelatin blooms, heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes on high, or heat gently in a small pot over low heat on the stove top, until the gelatin has completely melted into the juice and the liquid is smooth.
- Step 5: Add the watermelon juice with the melted gelatin to the larger bowl of juice from Step 3. Stir to combine. Gently pour the mixture over the prepared crust from Step 2 and place in the freezer for 2 hours or until the mixture is firm. (Alternately, place the pan in the refrigerator and allow to set for 3 to 4 hours.)
- Step 6: Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Before serving, cut the watermelon bars into squares. If desired, sprinkle each serving with confectioners' sugar or a dollop of whipped cream.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note