I made the cake as per the recipe except I baked it in 9 inch pans. The cake was delicious and moist. The cherry filling was made from scratch using red tart cherries packed in water. The water from the cherries plus enough water added to bring up to one cup in volume was put in a saucepan along with 1/2 cup of light corn syrup, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, and 4 drops red food coloring. This was cooked over medium heat with stirring until smooth and thickened. Then the cherries and 1 teaspoon of almond extract were added. All iced with the 7 minute frosting with maraschino cherries on top. One can no doubt use a good brand of cherry pie filling instead of making it from scratch, but I had rather make it from scratch. Great recipe!
Mount Vernon Cake
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cherry Filling
- Seven-Minute Double Boiler Frosting
- Maraschino cherries with stems
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, and beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour the batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove layers from pans, and let cool completely.
- Spread Cherry Filling between layers; spread top and sides of cake with Seven-Minute Double Boiler Frosting. Arrange cherries on top of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This