Mother's Day Cupcakes
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
- White Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- Paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups strawberry jam
- Strawberry Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract (optional)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla Bean Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter. softened
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- Edible pearls
- Edible glitter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (6-cup) jumbo muffin pans lined with jumbo paper baking cups, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely.
- Fill each cupcake with strawberry jam. To fill cupcakes, insert the end of a wooden spoon or dowel into the center of the cupcake to make a hole. Fill a zip-top plastic freezer bag with filling or frosting. Use scissors or kitchen shears to snip about 1/4 inch from one corner of the bag; insert bag into the hole in the cupcake. Squeeze gently until filling comes to the top of each cupcake.
- To prepare Strawberry Frosting, beat butter, strawberry puree, and, if desired, extract, at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and salt, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Makes 3 cups.
- To prepare Vanilla Bean Frosting, beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Makes 3 cups.
- Frost the top of each cupcake smooth with Stawberry Frosting. Insert metal tip no. 3 into a decorating bag; fill with Vanilla Bean Frosting. Write Mom on top of each cupcake. Insert metal tip no. 21 into a decorating bag; fill with Vanilla Bean Frosting. Pipe border around the top edge of each cupcake. Sprinkle each with edible pearls and edible glitter.
At Dreamcakes, we tested with Neilsen-Massey for the vanilla bean paste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings