Mother's Jerry's Jambalaya
- 2 oz. Butter
- 1 cup Onions, diced
- 3/4 cup Rice
- 2 cups Chicken stock
- 3 Bays leaves, whole
- 8 oz. Smoked sausage, sliced
- 8 oz. Chicken, diced in large chunks
- 1/2 cup Celery, diced
- 1-1/2 tbs. Garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp. Thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp. Basil, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp. Oregano, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. White pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1-1/2 tbs. Flour
- 6 oz. Creole tomato sauce (see recipe)
- 1/2 cup Green onion tops, chopped
- In a medium saucepan (use the type of pan that will also go into the oven), melt butter, add one half cup of onions and saut until onions are clear. Add rice, 1 cup of chicken stock and 1 bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then remove from stove and place in a 450 degree oven for five to seven minutes. Remove from the oven and hold. Rice should be approximately half cooked.
- In a heavy pot, render fat out of the sausage. Remove sausage, Saut chicken in the same pot and remove. Saut the rest of the onions with celery, green peppers, garlic and seasonings (thyme, basil, oregano, white pepper, cayenne pepper) in remaining fat. Dust with flour (sprinkle about 1-1/2 tsp. On top of vegetables to thicken and flavor) and cook for five minutes. Add remaining chicken stock, cook two minutes, and add sausage and chicken, pre-cooked rice, creole tomato sauce, green onions and 2 bay leaves. Simmer for 30 minutes or less or until done, but not too dry. Salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Melissa TP and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note