- 8 ounces uncooked mostaccioli (3 cups uncooked tubular-shaped pasta)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie stick margarine, divided
- 1 cup vertically sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) preshredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons (1/2 ounce) preshredded Parmesan cheese
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- calories 372
- caloriesfromfat 26 %
- fat 10.6 g
- satfat 5.1 g
- monofat 3.3 g
- polyfat 1.4 g
- protein 21 g
- carbohydrate 48.4 g
- fiber 3.6 g
- cholesterol 20 mg
- iron 3.8 mg
- sodium 884 mg
- calcium 525 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon margarine in a medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add flour; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook 4 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese, Italian seasoning, and pepper; remove from heat.
Combine pasta, cheese sauce, 1 cup cheese, tomatoes, and spinach in a large bowl; stir well. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Combine breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons cheese, and remaining 1 tablespoon margarine; sprinkle over pasta mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with parsley, if desired.