Mo's Oyster Stew
Notes: Mo's uses whole milk in this stew, which makes the wonderful, briny flavor of the oysters stand out. For a richer texture but milder oyster flavor, you can substitute half-and-half (light cream) for 1 to 2 cups of the milk. Serve the stew with dense, fresh sourdough bread.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 278
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 9.4g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 305mg
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- 1 quart whole milk (see notes)
- 1 pound shucked oysters in their liquor
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a 2 1/2- to 3-quart pan over medium heat, stir milk often just until steaming, about 6 minutes; do not boil.
- 2. Meanwhile, drain oysters (reserve liquor) and cut into bite-size pieces. Add oysters and liquor to milk and occasionally stir gently just until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Ladle stew evenly into four wide, shallow bowls and top each with 1/2 tablespoon butter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note