Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup
David Lieberman, the Food Channel http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/moroccan-spiced-chickpea-soup-recipe/index.html
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2-3 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 6-8 clove(s) garlic pressed
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) sweet paprika
- 1 can(s) 14.5 oz chopped tomatoes
- 3 can(s) 15 oz chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 32 ounce(s) chicken broth (or veg broth)
- 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
- kosher salt, pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until the onions begin to turn translucent; lower heat if browning starts to occur. Add spices and saute a minute or so. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, broth, and sugar. Season with a couple pinches of salt and 10 grinds fresh pepper. Stir well. Chickpeas should be just covered with liquid. If level is shy, add some water so the chickpeas are just covered.
- Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to low and gently simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. Use a potato masher to mash up some of the chickpeas right in the pot. Stir in the spinach and let heat through until wilted, just a couple minutes.
- Season again, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup, drizzled lightly with extra-virgin olive oil, if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by lynnjr and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews