Moroccan Spice Shrimp or Lamb with Couscous
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup(s) Burgundy wine
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalk(s) celery, whole
- 2 tablespoon(s) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup(s) dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh basil, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon(s) honey
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup(s) honey
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 1/2 cup(s) orange juice
- 1/4 cup(s) raisins or cran-raisins
- 10 ripe tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pound(s) shrimp, whole or lamb, cubed
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 2 cup(s) uncooked couscous
- 1 cup(s) water
- Tomato Sauce:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Have ready a large bowl of iced water.
- Plunge whole tomatoes in boiling water until skin starts to peel, 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon and place in ice bath.
- Let rest until cool enough to handle, then remove peel and squeeze out seeds.
- Chop 8 tomatoes and puree in blender or food processor. Chop remaining two tomatoes and set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook onion, bell pepper, carrot and garlic in oil and butter until onion starts to soften, 5 minutes.
- Pour in pureed tomatoes. Stir in chopped tomato, basil, Italian seasoning, cinnamon, honey and wine. Place bay leaf and whole celery stalks in pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 2 hours. Stir in tomato paste and simmer an additional 2 hours. Discard bay leaf and celery. Set aside.
- For Shrimp Moroccan Style:
- Add shrimp directly to sauce and simmer until shrimp a just cooked. Serve over a bed of Orange Couscous (recipe below).
- For Lamb Moroccan Style:
- Cut Lamb into cubes, coat in flour and quickly sear on all sides to lock in juices. Put into tomato sauce about 1/2 hour before you are ready to serve and simmer the sauce. Serve over a bed of Orange Couscous.
- For Orange Couscous:
- Bring 3 cups orange juice to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Stir in couscous and remove from heat, cover, and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining 1/2 cup orange juice in another saucepan. Add apricots, raisins, honey and cinnamon and ginger and saute for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Combine couscous and fruit mixture and spoon into serving bowls and add Moroccan Spiced Lamb or Shrimp over top. Serve immediately.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by amandataylor1 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note