Moroccan Saffron Chicken Recipe
Chicken cooked with lots of onions, saffron and other Moroccan spices is easy to make and the savory foundation to a number of delicious Moroccan dishes such as Chicken Bastilla and Chicken Briouats. Serve over rice.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 whole(s) chicken
- Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- • 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces and skin removed (Or try boneless chicken cut into bite size pieces)
- • 2 large sweet onions, chopped medium
- • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- • 1 teaspoon white pepper
- • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- • 2 sticks of cinnamon
- • 1 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- • 1 teaspoon turmeric
- • 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- • 1/4 cup butter
- • 1/4 cup olive oil
- • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix all ingredients in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Cover, and cook over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is very tender and pulls easily off the bone. Do not add water, and be careful not to burn the chicken.
- Reduce the liquids until they are mostly oils. Discard the cinnamon sticks, and taste for seasoning. (The sauce should be a bit salty and peppery.)
- Serve the chicken and sauce on a bed of rice or hidden within a mound of steamed broken vermicelli or couscous (Seffa Medfouna).
This recipe is a personal recipe added by StephanieZW and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note