DH made this last night (as written) and it was so delicious that I didn't want to eat dessert because I wanted the flavors to stay with me a little longer. He served it with wilted mustard greens with garlic and lemon and a Cabernet. A meal that proves that the way to a woman's heart is through her stomach :-)
Moroccan Pot Roast
Of all our Cottage Community Dinners recipes, this is our favorite. It's wonderfully tender and easily feeds a crowd. The combination of flavors is so different from your mom's pot roast, you may never go back! Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 3 hours 13 minutes.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (2-pound) chuck roasts
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped (about 1 pound)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons ground paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 (32-ounce) box low-sodium beef broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Heat olive oil in a large heavy-duty roasting pan set over 2 burners over medium-high heat. Sprinkle each roast with sea salt and pepper. Sear roasts in pan, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan, and place on a platter.
- 2. Add onion, carrot, and garlic to pan, and cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Combine paprika, cumin, and cinnamon in a small bowl; add to vegetables, and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 more minutes. Add broth, and return roasts to roasting pan. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until fork-tender. Remove beef from pot, and place on a platter; tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- 3. Skim layer of fat from surface of cooking liquid. Add chickpeas to liquid, and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are warm. Stir in remaining ingredients. Separate meat into portions, and spoon liquid and vegetables over beef. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note