This is recipe is easy and yummy. I marinated the pork for 7 hours. I also pierced it with a tenderizing tool. I made a couple of changes. I grilled outside and added baby portobello mushrooms to the eggplant and red onion skewers. I also used 4 1 inch thick butterfly pork chops. I omitted the cinnamon and added smoked paprika in it's place and doubled the garlic. I doubled the marinade as well. This recipe is a keeper my guests loved it. I made a taboulah salad and that was perfect with the pork.
Moroccan Pork Kebabs
Photo: Kirsten Strecker
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 375
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 439mg
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 36g
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 small eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- Pita bread or flat bread, for serving
- 1 half-pint container store-bought tzatziki (cucumber-yogurt sauce; optional)
- 1/2 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Heat toaster oven to 425° F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the orange juice, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Add the pork and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the eggplant, onion, and the remaining oil, salt, and pepper. Place the vegetables on skewers, alternating eggplant and onion.
Transfer the skewers to a foil-lined toaster-oven baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the vegetables.
Place the pork on skewers and add them to the tray. Bake until the vegetables are tender and the pork is cooked through, turning the pork and vegetables once, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, wrap the bread in foil and place on top of the pork during the last 5 minutes. Transfer the skewers and bread to individual plates. Spoon the tzatziki (if using) on the side and sprinkle with the cucumber and mint.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note